Thursday 6 November 2008

World Goes Off Its Head In Delight/Anger

Myself: I couldn't give a toss. One guy wins an election, the other guy loses. Yes I understand the symbolism. And the significance. But it's politics. It's still people bossing other people about. It's still empty slogans ("Change" - although I like it when Tears for Fears say it). There are still wars to be lost, taxes to be raised, laws against liberty to be enacted and who knows what coming in the next few years.

We've had the candidates of hope before, and two of them particularly come to my mind: one who nearly blew the world up (JFK) and the other who tightened the state's grip on the neck of his people for a decade before anyone tried to object (Blair).

Governance is a messy business because life is messy. People with sweet sounding messages will always be forced to compromise or abandon them because things are not sweet or lovely. That is, if they believed what they were saying in the first place.

Things are bastards.

That's why governments are bastards.

The Obama administration will get an easy ride in the media, to be sure, but that doesn't mean it won't do un-nice things at some point.

And change isn't always good. I don't remember the left queuing up to praise the change taking place in the 1980s. In fact, if I remember rightly, they wanted society frozen as it had been in 1974 (before the monetarist policies of Callaghan) and no change from there (apart from steady increases in taxation of course).

Also losing my hair is not good change. I want that change reversed to around 1995 - when I had massive flowing locks of poetic-type hair.

2 comments:

Crushed said...

Ironically, I used 'Everybody wants to rule the world' as mymusic for my celebration post- Still Tears for fears :)

Bill Haydon said...

Yes, well, we might have to agree to disagree..."let's be adult about it"....