Friday 20 April 2007

Tin Drum

James has asked me to explain the moniker. I have already done so, in the dim and distant past, but it's worth repeating. I love the Japan album "Tin Drum" but that is not how I chose the title, indeed I struggle to see the connection between the album and my inspiration. My inspiration comes from the Gunter Grass novel "The Tin Drum" in which a boy stops growing at the age of 3 and spends the rest of his life -among other fairly ghastly things- banging a tin drum at all and sundry. My idea was that I would compare myself to a poisonous Danzig dwarf in the 1920s, spewing out shit and filth; or rather, I know that is how I was often seen in the real world, so it was an ideal handle for the blogosphere. I *also* know that the tin drummer is seen as a metaphor for Hitler, and I am - sigh - *not* a Nazi; just that I liked the idea of seeing myself as a little scrote banging a drum to the annoyance of everyone else.

By comparison, Japan's album is lightweight, though it is very good indeed. It is really about isolation and travel, in a far more sensitive way, than either my blog or the novel.

Just in case Tim Ireland (shudder) is reading, yes I do, generally, keep this handle for all comments and posts.

3 comments:

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, TD. Yes, I always assumed the name was from the G Grass book , because, old fogey that I am, I had never heard of the album!

Colin Campbell said...

I have never read the book, but I found the film to be pretty disturbing. That crazed looking little boy and the manic drumming. I must get it out again. I have the book somewhere.

It is funny when I saw your blog for the first time, my first thought was whether you were his later in life reincarnation.

I note that the ECB has taken the cautious route for a new coach. I still think that they need somebody like Jeremy Clarkson to motivate them and give them some fire in their bellies.

James Higham said...

Welshcakes logic. And thanks for explaining that.